A lot of people have the idea that maybe one day they’ll become rich and famous and then write a book about it. That’s probably because it seems like the first thing people do after becoming rich and famous is write a book about it.
But you don’t have to wait until you’re rich and famous to write a book about your experiences and ideas.
"A few months ago I was talking to another MBA student, a very talented man, about 30 years old from a great school with a great resume. I asked him what he wanted to do for his career, and he replied that he wanted to go into a particular field, but thought he should work for McKinsey for a few years first to add to his resume. To me that's like saving sex for your old age. It makes no sense." - Warren Buffet
Likewise, saving blogging for your old age makes no sense. There are two selfless reasons why you should start blogging now:
- You may enlighten someone.
- Sharing your experiences adds another data point to our collective knowledge and makes us all better off.
It used to take a lot of work to publish something. Now it is simpler than brushing your teeth. So publish, write, blog!
If you need some selfish reasons, here are 5:
- Writing is good excercise for the brain and gives you “writer’s high”.
- Blogging makes you a better writer.
- When your blog gets traffic, it stokes your ego.
- You may spark interesting conversations with interesting people.
- In rare circumstances, you may make money.
Blogging. Don’t save it for your old age.